The APPI PPG Open Sky Taster course is a 1 or 2 day program consisting of a course for those who want to have a basic understanding and knowledge of Paramotoring before progressing on to the 6 day Adventure Pilot course.
To enrol in an APPI PPG Open Sky Taster course, an individual must:
- Be physically fit enough to take part in the training course.
- Have a minimum age of 16 years old.
- Respect the APPI PPG Safety Rules and Quality Standards.
- Agree to sit the 1 or 2 day Taster course with a certified APPI PPG instructor, consisting of the following syllabus.
Days 1 and 2:
1. Introduction to APPI PPG, the Sport, the School and completion of all paperwork
2. Lecture 1: Theory of Flight
3. Introduction to the Wing and Harness
4. Untangling, folding and care of the Wing
5. Wearing the harness, clipping into the wing and 6 point checks
6. Forward and Reverse launch training
7. Ground Handling Training
8. Hand Towing Training no higher than 30ft
OPTIONAL: Student Training Flights in a Tandem Paramotor at any time during the course
(Instructor must hold a valid APPI PPG Tandem License to provide Tandem flights)
OPTIONAL: Low hops from no higher than 250ft having completed the above training (Instructor must hold a valid APPI PPG Instructor licence for this type of training)
9. Motor Safety Check List
10. Safe Starting Procedures with electric and/or pull start Paramotors
11. Wearing the motor and running it
12. Hang Tests, Adjustments, Reserve Practise Deployments and Pre Solo Flight Simulation
When hand towing there must be two towers who have been correctly briefed and supervised by a CFI. The two ropes should be no longer that 30ft each. Low Hops should only be performed after the student has been Hand Towed and demonstrated the ability to safely and correctly control, take off, fly and land the glider. 70% of all Paramotor accidents occur when running the engine on the ground. The student therefore needs to be thoroughly briefed in order to avoid any accidents.